Eclectic, independent, and vibrant are the words most often used to describe this part of Portland. “Eclectic,” as it is home to a wide range of age groups and backgrounds. Also eclectic is the neighborhood’s architecture, a harmonious mix of historic, wood‑framed homes and more recent, very modern construction. Single family, triple‑decker, multi‑family ‑ all the options are here. “Independent” both for the spirit of the residents and the many locally‑owned businesses – no chain stores here! “Vibrant” as this is a neighborhood where artists perform and create, and residents walk and interact with one another.
The East End is home to St. Lawrence Arts, which offers a rage of concerts and plays. Also nearby, Mayo Street Arts’ diverse offerings include live music, artistic puppetry, and dance both for watching and participating. Local galleries offer still more to enjoy and absorb.
Residents on the East End can easily walk to popular neighborhood restaurants including Lolita, the Blue Spoon, and the Front Room. For more causal eating Otto, Three Buoys and Silly’s, a local favorite for a hearty brunch, are all within walking distance. A little further, but still walkable, are nationally‑known restaurants like Duck Fat, Hugo’s and Fore Street. Neighborhood favorites Colucci’s, Rosemont Market, and Katie Made offer groceries and freshly baked bread, and at the bottom of the hill is Portland’s first food co‑op.
Munjoy Hill/East End
• Enjoy the very best a small urban coastal community has to offer
• Independent ‑ authentic – vibrant ‑ eclectic
• A real community with a genuine sense of being and belonging
• Variety of incomes, backgrounds live here – a true mix of real people
• Pet‑friendly, people‑friendly, Buy‑Local friendly
• Livable with restaurants, coffee shops, grocers, bakeries, boutiques…
• Artists, theaters, galleries, craftspeople
• Mix of architecture: some historic, wood‑framed buildings and some new, very modern
• Very Walkable – 86 walk score, most errands can be accomplished on foot (walkscore.com)
• Very Bikeable – 82 bike score, mostly flat, good bike lanes (walkscore.com)
• The ever‑present, awe‑inspiring water views